Located in a 19 th century building which originally served as a Morris Canal locktender’s house, the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum offers an engaging and informative look at the history of New Jersey’s largest lake.
Noted painter and author Eric Sloane worked at various summer jobs on the lake, including at local boat yards. In 1936 he presented a detailed color drawing of the lake as a gift to Nick Steneck, owner of Hockenjos Boat Company. The drawing was passed down to Nick Steneck, Jr. and his wife Peg. Nick and Peg have wonderfully donated this drawing to the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum and will be traveling from Michigan to unveil this wonderful museum addition at 7:00pm.
One of the great days at Lake Hopatcong. Come view the beautiful boats at the historic and beautiful Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club. Open to all.
Hours of Operation
The Museum will next be open on Sunday, March 31 from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
The Museum is also available for research and special appointments. Please contact us.