Located in a 19 th century building which originally served as a Morris Canal locktender’s house, the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum offers an engaging and informative look at the history of New Jersey’s largest lake.
Join Canal Society of New Jersey President Joe Macasek for an interesting walk of the former Edison Mine and Edison Ore-Milling Company. Edison founded an iron mining and processing company here in the 1890’s and made important contributions to the field of mining technology. This site is incredibly rich with historic ruins, abandoned railroads and abandoned mines. This tour is only open to members of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum.
Historical sites across Sussex County will be open this weekend. Obtain a complete brochure, maps and more at https://www.scahc.org/Events/ . The Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum joins the fun and will be open on Sunday October 13, 2019 from noon to 4:00 pm.
The Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum, like many community groups, uses St. Jude’s Parish Hall for programs and other events. Unfortunately the lack of a sound system has made it difficult to hear in this large building. On October 12th we come together as a community to raise the funds necessary to purchase a sound system so that the parish hall can serve the entire community for many years to come.
Hours of Operation
The Museum is now closed for winter but we are still available for research and special appointments. Please contact us.
Happy Holidays to all!